Marais Consulting Engineers
Some papers authored or co-authored by Johan Marais:
- TRAIN HEALTH MONITORING - BEYOND THE ALARMS, Presented to the Southern African Section of the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers at Johannesburg on 17 March 2005
- An Overview of Railroad Wheel Rim Failure Modes under Heavy Axle Loads, (Joint author with J. S. van der Walt), 14th International Wheelset Congress, 17-21 October 2004 , Orlando, USA
- "Rail integrity management by means of ultrasonic testing", (Joint author with KC Mistry), Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Volume 26 Page 931 - October 2003
- “Initial Field Experiences with the Trackside Acoustic Detection System” - Gerald Anderson - TTCI, USA, Johan Marais - Spoornet-Railway Engineering, South Africa, & Anthony Austen - Queensland Railways, Australia – May 2003, International Heavy Haul Association Specialist Technical Session, Texas, USA
- "Wheel-rail interaction as experienced on LKAB iron ore wagons", Joint author with HM Tournay, RD Fröhling, JM Mulder, U Lindstrom, T Karlsson, 2003 Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2003
- "Assessment of flaws in railway wheel bores", 13th International Wheelset Congress, Rome, Italy, 2001
- "Developing wheelsets for 30 tonne axleloads", (Joint author with Roger Lundén and Stefan Schrader, Railway Gazette International, September 2001.
- “Effects of imperfections on fatigue initiation in railway wheels.” (Joint author with Anders Ekberg), IMechE Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, vol 214, no F1, 2000, pp 45-54
- "Wheel failures on heavy haul freight wheels due to subsurface defects", 12th International Wheelset Congress, Qingdao, China, 1998
- “The development of an integrated train condition monitoring system”, World Congress on Railway Research, Florence, Italy, 1997
- "Spoornet moves to automate train health monitoring", Railway Gazette International, April 1997.
- “Managing wheelsets in Spoornet”, UIC User-Producer Interaction Programme – Rolling Stock Technology, Teheran, Iran, 1996.
- “Thermal fatigue of steel tyres on urban railway systems”, (Joint author with P. G. H. Pistorius), International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1995.
- "Thermal fatigue of steel tires on urban railway systems", (Joint author with P. G. H. Pistorius), 4th International Conference on Contact Mechanics and Wear of Rail/Wheel Systems, Vancouver, Canada, 1994.
- "Performance of F-couplers on unit coal trains", Railways Africa, April/May 1993, (Joint author with P. H. Smit, J. W. Singer and C. Teunissen).
- "Rails and Rail Steels", Permanent Way Institute, Rail track conference, Elephant Hills Hotel, Zimbabwe, 1992.
- “The use of the local strain approach in the evaluation of the fatigue properties of a component”, MSc(Metallurgy) thesis, University of Pretoria, 1990
- "Failure analysis of JT9-7R4 jet engine fan blade", Fracture 89, World Trade Centre, Johannesburg, 1989.